Factory responses

Subject: Factory responses
From: Allan Hall <100255.2004@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 1996 15:37:08
Reply to John Grant,

<<I've often wondered why, one possibility could be the legal aspect. Product
liability etc.>>

I think you could be right on this one, I believe that the factory are in a no
win situation. Anything they say could be used against them, so they work on the
basis that if you don't stick your head up, It won't get shot off!! Our
wonderful legal system is ready and waiting to take them apart at the first sign
of any "serious problem" with the design. All that they can do is say nothing
and pray. Because of the implications of this, the official factory responce can
only be BUILD IT EXACTLY TO THE PLANS!

<<Another more likely reason is that they are too busy selling kits to have time
to address builders concerns>>

Europa Aviation are a business, not a charity. In order to continue to survive
they need to put most of their resourses into selling kits and ensuring the
safety of the finished aircraft (hence the recent spate of mods), with builder
support coming second to this. Do you really want to build an aircraft produced
by a company that went bust just after you bought and therefore offers no
support at all? Having said this, I find no problem working with the current
Monday AM or Thursday PM support offered, if I hit a snag I just work on
something else until I can fit in with their support times. The only time I came
to a stop was waiting 10 weeks for a fuel tank that fit (remember that?)

Customer support is there to clarify the build manuals for builders doing it "by
the book". Occasionally they are compromised and asked to give their opinion and
blessing to customer suggestions and mods, they cannot do this. The permit to
fly relates to aircraft built EXACTLY to the plans, any unauthorised customer
mods must be done through the correct PFA channels, not Europa Aviation.

My guess is that the factory are well aware of the discussions and concerns
voiced in this mail group and that contrary to popular belief they do listen.

The Europa design is not perfect, the only safe aircraft is one that never
flies. Trust in God and get some life insurance!

Allan J Hall  #177 (Not too close to the throne, not frightened of loosing
favour with the factory<G>)