Re: Engine Installation

Subject: Re: Engine Installation
From: Graham Singleton <100421.2123@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 1996 17:30:23
>>these will move at about 80-90 degrees C>.....ha ha ! maybe the Loctite
softens ,but my vice was catching fire and no movement could be induced
using grips on the outside of the tubes.<<

Not surprised. This is the method I used. A 10mm Rawlbolt will just fit in the
tubes if you grind the edge of the bolthead down a bit. Then carefully tighten
the nut so that the barrel expands and grips the tube. Then you need to melt the
Loctite. The trick that worked for me was to use plenty of heat evenly, getting
each joint in turn hot as fast as possible, before the heat can spread through
the casting.  The Loctite lets go quite suddenly. Cool between each heating so
that only the joint being worked on gets hot. Afterwards run in new Loctite.

Same technique works when you have to get the wing pins out to do the mod. It's
essential to us a lot of heat, too little just causes local overheating and
dissipates too fast to melt the adhesive.

Graham