Flaps setup

Subject: Flaps setup
From: Allan Hall <100255.2004@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 1996 15:54:32
When setting up flaps, we found that when the starboard flap was in correct
retracted position, our port side flap hangs a bit low (2-3 deg). This seems to
be due to the fact that the flap actuating pushrod pushes/pulls the transverse
flap actuating bar from an off centre line position (biased to starboard), so
that the starboard side pulls slightly more than the port side.

The fix we have come up with is simple and seems to work: Bond a tufnol stop
block to the rear of the cabin bulkhead, to fill the gap between the flap
transverse bar and the bulkhead. Its thickness is determined by the desired flap
up position. When the flaps are moved to up, the transverse flap actuating bar
will contact the tufnol stop and prevent any further travel on the starboard
side, however the port side can still move up further. The linkage is then
shortened until the port flap is pulled up into the correct position. Difficult
to explain, but easy to do!

Allan  #177