Europa vs. RV-x

Subject: Europa vs. RV-x
From: Larry Portouw <72170.1636@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 1995 10:02:20
Marc,
  How are things out in God's country?  My wife and I are Oregonians.  Been
trying for 15 years to get stationed anywhere in the Western United States,
but, alas, the government decides where I serve and...  Maybe when I retire.
  My decision of Europa vs. RV is not yet cast in stone, but after seeing a
lot of RVs and seeing the Europa for the first time, the RV is in jeopardy.
That, plus the fact that I've learned what I want for the time being from the
RV list, and it's tough keeping up with all the activity on that list led me
  Why is the Europa winning out?  Probably a little rational thought taking
hold.  Big plusses, in decreasing importance are:
    -Build time (I'm not retired)
    -Take it home (hanger money goes to more flying) and easy to move long
distances by surface, even container if necessary.  I get sent overseas
periodically.
    -Baggage Capacity (my wife and I want a plane for touring, to include
camping).
    -Fuel burn (economy)
    -Rough Field capability
    (-cost seems to be about a wash)
  I agree with you observations about RVs.  I'm particularly attracted to the
tried and true design.  But, with my focus on x-country over getting inverted,
I think the Europa will win out.  It's almost an apples an oranges comparison
once I clearly define what I want to do with the airplane.  Europa seems to
fit well into a gap between the lower cost kits and the pure x-country
speeders. I've yet to fly the Europa- engines out of the one at Lakeland.
Probably good that it's grounded now, I've a feeling I'd be raiding the piggy
bank about now if I'd flown it.  The final decision now depends upon watching
some more customer completions, subscribing to the newsletter, and making sure
I want to do all that sanding :-).
  Merry Christmas.

 Larry Portouw, Major, US Army,  Tampa, Florida
 CIS: 72170,1636 - INTERNET: 72170.1636@compuserve.com
21-Dec-1995
at