Re: Laser Guidance for Europas

Subject: Re: Laser Guidance for Europas
From: Rowland & Wilma Carson <rowil@gn.apc.org>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 1995 21:30:14
Phillip -

you said:

>powerful light shone along the surface being worked on can be useful in
>revealing the high/low spots.
> has anyone tried using a laser beam

I'd say - DON'T try it. I wouldn't shine even a very-low-power laser
towards my eyes if I could avoid it. I think it would be fairly ineffective
anyway, as you need a reasonable beam width and the whole point of the
laser is that it's a _very_ narrow beam. You'd only illuminate a line along
the surface, instead of an area of the surface - and even to do that, you'd
need the beam to be virtually parallel to the surface.

An old theatrical or photographic spotlight would be much more useful, as
those often have good methods of beam control.

cheers

Rowland
(Europa Club Membership Sec, but not a builder yet!)

... that's Rowland with a 'w' ...