Rudderflatter?

Subject: Rudderflatter?
From: Graham Singleton <100421.2123@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 1995 19:03:03
Reply to Tom Breitenbach

>>teacher allways told
me, there are no stupid questions at all<<

That's true, and worth remembering.

Post curing. This is a good thing to do because it increases the strength of the
resin.  Epoxy resin cures initially quite quickly but doesn't reach full
strength for some time. Weeks even. Even then if a part is heated to say 50 grad
it will soften slightly and if not properly supported may change shape. So,
store your finished parts carefully. Ideally post curing should be done within
few days of initial cure. A container on a hot day would be a good way. Just
make sure the parts are supported so that they are not able to change shape.

Flatter, gleibe Ich is Deutsch for flutter, nicht war? The Europa doesn't
flutter, even at the speeds Pete Clarke sometimes achieves. The movement of the
tail on the video is probably flexing of the airframe due to turbulence, quite
possibly the aircraft flying through it's own wake. Another possible cause would
be high speed stall, which will cause buffet and therefore flexing. Flutter is
high speed high frequency resonance and usually destroys the aircraft. I will
ask Pete Clarke if he can comment next time I meet him.
Personally I feel quite confident in the strength of the aircraft, after all I
will never subject it to the same loads the Pete regularly does.

Graham