Bowed leading edges

Subject: Bowed leading edges
From: CarlReynaudatRAYRMCNAUTECH@ccmail.eo.ray.com
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 1995 18:03:26
     Martin,  I have just done my first leading edge and have experienced
     exactly the problems you have highlighted.  Rather than bond the slots
     with 5 minute, I go straight for the micro as it saves time latter
     during the major layup.

     I noticed several things, firstly the blocks appeared bowed, secondly
     the twist did not appear to be correct, thirdly the sections where the
     cores join are not identical.  Having made these comments they need
     some qualification.

     Where the cores join there where differences in section which varied
     from 10 to 20 thou (0.25-0.5mm) per side.  The amount depends on where
     you take you datuum, flat TE side, LE, LE flashing strip?

     The bow in the sections was very misleading.  I rechecked the table on
     which they were jigged when the slots were filled, and this indeed was
     flat.  I eventually decided that the actual LE was straight (where the
     flashing was) in the horizontal plane, but not the vertical plane
     (when viewed as jigged).  This was due to the sag of the hot wire when
     it was cut.  The surfaces were equally bowed as you move aft of the
     LE.

     Having decided on the above two effects, and spent some time jigging I
     found that the twist approached the right sort of value, and the LE
     was straight, if not dead flat.

     Having bonded the blocks in place I lightly fettled the LE and the
     joints with a long (1.25m) sanding block, only taking off 0.5mm max
     here and there.

     The end result is a LE that is pretty straight in the grand scale of
     things.  Any non flatness is probably less than thickness of glass
     going on, especially when you consider that the root and tip all have
     overlaps that are going to create bumps.

     In summary, jigging the LE is not a totally precise science and can be
     frustrating if not decidedly nerve wracking when you finally commit to
     the sticky stuff.  However take it little by little with plenty of
     good straight edges for guides (a length of dark cotton stretched
     along the LE) and it should come true.

     Cheers Carl