Europa MkII

Subject: Europa MkII
From: Graham Singleton <100421.2123@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 1995 19:48:47
I doubt if the monowheel Europa will be out of date for a long time. It was
designed to fill a market slot, STOL rough field capable and a reasonable cruise
speed 120 kts minimum. It does all of that very well and is aerobatic if you
want that. Can't think of anything that compares so capably. The glider wings is
also to fill a market slot, the retired piliot who has lost his medical. (USA)
and the guy who fancies a bit of soaring. Many of us crave for the rewards of
soaring.
The next market slot that inspires Ivan is going to be something completely
different. He was seen in deep conversation with Barnaby Wainfan if that means
anything more than an open mind. Look for a real empty market slot, that may
well be where Ivan goes next.
I would be looking for a real economical efficient 4 seater if I was in the
market. I can't think of one.

Building costs. Not sure what the price of the kit is, L12,000 + vat? Engine
L10,000 . Labour L12,000.
 I would definitely NOT fit a Vacuum pump. Here are the instruments I would fit

Navaid Devices autopilot/turn & slip                $1200, IMHO the most useful
item a VFR single crew airplane can have.
Flux gate or remote sensing magnesyn compass.   L150
Electric horizon gyro, second hand            about  L300
GPS/COM ie King KLX 135                               $2200
electronic engine management such as Grand Rapids   $700
ASI and Altimeter second hand                            L220
electronic flight information system such as Rocky Mountain  $1000

I think the days of glass cockpits are fast approaching. The weight of a panel
full of standard instruments is apalling. 30lbs +! Vac pumps are expensive,
unreliable and waste at least 2 HP. I wouldn't be surprised if 12V DC systems
are also time expired. The horizon and the magnesyn both require AC which the
alternator supplies. Someone soon will develope a Horizon which takes signals
---From GPS.

Graham