anodizing

Subject: anodizing
From: Rowland Carson <rowil@gn.apc.org>
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 1995 22:21:02
Graham Singleton suggests anodizing all metal parts - I assume that means
all _aluminium_ parts.

I don't think you can _anodize_ steel, and anyway I thought any steel parts
came with some sort of surface treatment against corrosion.

The real question, though, is where is it OK to get anodizing done? I can
probably find a small firm locally that does hard anodizing, but will that
compromise integrity of parts? I've even got details somewhere (picked up
---From rec.crafts.metalworking) of d-i-y methods for anodizing. Any hope of
that being acceptable? Or should we be going to somewhere with experience
in aviation metalwork? If so, should we be trying to set up a bulk deal for
as many builders as possible? That might be difficult anyway, with people
needing parts at different times, etc - also I gues you'd want to make sure
you got _your_ parts back, specially if you'd spent a lot of time on
cleaning up marks, etc.

cheers

Rowland

... that's Rowland with a 'w' ...