Nicholas Davies questions

Subject: Nicholas Davies questions
From: Graham Singleton <100421.2123@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 1995 18:51:57
I reckon I can build one in 1500 hrs. Yet to see how long engine installation
takes, though.
The first thing about filling the flying surfaces is to get all the micro on
first time. You will need to wait two days before you can sand, even with fast
hardener, (which I have in stock). Adding layers of micro causes differing
hardness which makes even sanding very much more difficult. Use Ron Swindens
fishing line technique but also mix in colloidal silica which makes the micro
spread easily. SP Systems stock it. 5:1 micro to silica. I mix it dry first. It
takes about 2 hours for two guys to fill one side of a wing to an even
thickness.
I would recommend anodising all metal parts. The best would be hard anodise dyed
and dichromate sealed.(Undyed is a nondescript greenish colour.) This restores
any loss of fatigue strength. Epoxy sticks very well to anodised parts, less
well to scuff sanded ones. Either way parts must be chemically clean. No
fingerprints. Alodine or Alochrom is a good alternative to anodising. Aircraft
Spruce stock it I think.
White peel ply makes it easier to see bubbles underneath. Harder to spot if you
forget to take it off. Remove the peel ply just before starting the next layup,
otherwise you will need to scuff sand.
Graham