Re: Europa-List: Re: Filter on the fuel vent

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Filter on the fuel vent
From: Alan Burrill <alanb@dpy01.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2023 21:31:52

I have made pitot and fuel vent covers from clear plastic tube. The tube is bent
double and slips over the fuel vents and also Pitot:static and has the red
remove
before flight tags attached.

Alan

Sent from my iPhone

> On 30 May 2023, at 21:11, rparigoris <rparigor@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

> Hi Group
>
> A few notes on Fuel Vents:
> ** I owned a 170 that had the flippy pitot and fuel vent covers. I had a
> dapper
wasp somehow get into the pitot and the airspeed was dead? Took a while to
figure out just how. Then one day walking up to the bird when it was pretty darn
windy, noticed both the pitot and fuel vent flippy covers were opened because
of the wind! Again it was howling and it both were on top of high wing. Anyway
noticed a dapper wasp land and crawl into the fuel vent!! Took a few hours
to clean out a nest that she built. Even though there were 2 holes drilled on
the aft side of the fuel vent, it would not have helped. I suspect with the
Europa
being a low wing and my fuel vent on the bottom of fuse, may need more wind
that on a high wing to open
> ** As Bud has, we mounted the fuel vent on our Mono on the bottom of the fuse.
we too have 2 holes drilled aft. We installed a flippy cover:
> https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ah1S270Nwg9VgoFrWgK4zHNaHsxwUg?e=gGz1pO
> You need to copy and paste full URL into browser to view
> **  Am not a big fan of an aeroplane engine (or any other engine as a matter
of fact) that decides to play silent night when not commanded to do so. Have
been
around enough to know that if you don't let air into a fuel tank and a vacuum
forms, fuel flow slows or stops. Thus we added a second fuel tank vent to
our Mono that vents inside the cockpit. If one were to do such a thing and just
have a opened tube, besides fumes getting into the cockpit, when you decide
to land turtle and can't get out, fuel can spill into cockpit. We installed a
fuel rated one way diaphragm valve (white with nipples) and in series a Brass
fitting with ball check valve. If you go inverted, the white diaphragm valve
should
stop flow, but it's kind of important it doesn't leak, so if it were to
leak, the check valve should stop flow. We also installed a screen filter to
keep
snakes out. Using a clear tube, you can blow into it and try sucking to verify
the one way diaphragm valve is working. To verify!
>  the Brass ball check valve is working, by putting  a magnet near it and
> moving,
if you hear the ball jiggling, chances are really really good it will function
as designed. If the fuel vent were to get clogged, it's true that pressure
could build in the tank, and I'm a lot happier to have some pressure in the
tank, than a vacuum, just over the trees. Here's some pics: