Europa-List: Re: Flap binding issue - how to shorten the flap actuating

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Flap binding issue - how to shorten the flap actuating
From: budyerly@msn.com <budyerly@msn.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2021 15:37:58

Jeff and Ron and folks:
Sorry to add fuel to this

I agree, the easy way would be to just whack things.

I'm a bit more concerned that I don't know how much the flap tube is pushing the
flap outboard.

Perhaps the flap outboard closeout is not perfectly square after finishing.
Is the flap tube linear actuator drive biasing the flap outboard because it is
installed at an angle instead of dead parallel to the center line?
Is there too much paint and filler added to the flap tip?
Was the wing flap closeout filled and painted too much?
Were the flap arms installed differently during the final assembly?
Is it something simple like some glue or filler preventing the flap pin from
fully
seating in the flap tube bearing when retracted which is causing rig and
retraction
binding?

So if Jeff is measuring carefully, as I'm sure he is, and he has de-rigged the
wing, checked the flap extension and retraction motion, assured the outboard
clearance
is not binding and there is anywhere between 1/8 and 3/16 inch of clearance
in the up position. Then when the wing is rigged the and flap binds with
the pin fully seated something in the drive isn't right.  Fixing the drive seems
to be the correct course of action.

If the wing is installed, and the flap is pushed outboard to say 1/16 inch from
the outboard wing closeout when down, during retraction it will definitely bind.
If the bind is reduced by only sanding the outboard flap closeout until clear
in the up position, how much force is on the hinges to keep it there.

What we all want on retraction is a just a nice contact with the wings retracted
pushing the whole flap very slightly outboard.  When we extend the flaps we
want the pin straight portion slightly exposed and when we pull the wing flap
outboard until the flap hits the wing closeout near the aileron and the flap
movement
will still not disengage the flap pin, it is safe.  In fact we want about
10mm / 3/8 inch  max exposed of the pin.  SB 16 is fairly clear.  Bottom line,
the flap pins should not disengage when full down when pulled hard outboard
and common sense says when up do not put excessive force on the flap outboard
and of course not bind.

If this is what we have in flap extension and retraction the flaps will last and
operate flawlessly.

I prefer to fix the rig so nothing is forced over a lifetime.  There will be
less
pressure on the glass and bearings.  Wing fairings fit right and don't drag
and life is good.  Not good enough, but good... for a lifetime.

Quick fixes tend to cause lasting consequences.  If you do it right, you can
sleep
at night and the plane lasts a lifetime.

Of course as my friend Ira says:  "Better is the enemy of good, and good is the
enemy of good enough".  I'm a centrist, good is good.

Bud Yerly

Read this topic online here: