Re: Europa-List: fuel tank expansion question

Subject: Re: Europa-List: fuel tank expansion question
From: D McFadyean <amimcfadyean@talktalk.net>
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2021 08:39:02

I've measured 3% expansion on new rotary-molded polythene tanks (not Europa)
over
a period of weeks upon first contact with fuel.
The later fluorinated tanks aren't supposed to expand at all, or at least less.

Duncan McF.

> On 31 July 2021 at 16:08 Rowland Carson <rowlandcarson@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> Im running my fuel sight gauge up the back of the starboard seat. The tube
> then
has to go aft towards the vent. One could run it across the top surface of
the cockpit module adjacent to the headrest. But there is quite a decent space
between the top of the tank and the undersurface of the cockpit module, so Id
like to take the tube across the area between the headrests in that space. That
seems a neat and tidy way to keep the tube out of the way. However, I understand
that contact with fuel makes the tank swell up. Im concerned that the tank,
once filled with fuel, will expand so much that it will crush the tube and
close the vent to atmosphere.

> Does anyone have any idea of how much the tank expands vertically? Will it
> swell
until it touches the underside of the cockpit module?

> In this connexion, it occurs to me now that the flange of the analogue fuel
> level
sender might also foul the underside of the ply floor in the starboard headrest
if the tank swells a lot. I think I made the hole in the ply floor just
big enough for the top part of the sender, not the flange. Has anyone
experienced
any issues with that?