Europa-List: Re: Vne and flutter explained - Australian Flying

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Vne and flutter explained - Australian Flying
From: John Wighton <john@wighton.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2020 01:28:29

Pete,

The article is 10 years old -a period which represents approximately 1/12 (or 8%
ish) since Wright Bros made their mark.  Much can happen in a very short time,
primarily due to the predictive tools we (as aeronautical engineers) have at
our disposal.

Jim's excellent article does, however, still contain good information.  The key
elements being that there is a significant factor between Vne and Vd (typically
1.3-1.4), and that flutter should not occur before 1.2Vd.  Hence no sane pilot
should get anywhere near.  But that also assumes an aircraft is in tip-top
condition.

A simple route is to always fly using IAS.  Ensure you have calibrated your ASI,
hence you are effectively flying CAS.

This actually ignites a pet subject of mine - the LAA permit renewal flight
test,
which requires us all to be Test Pilots for the day - reaching Vne.  A little
bit like cycling toward the edge of Beachy Head but (skillfully) avoiding
plummeting
over the edge.  We congratulate ourselves we are still alive - and then
have to go and do it again next year..........

--------
John Wighton
Europa XS trigear G-IPOD

Read this topic online here: