Re: Europa-List: Unimproved field flying with the Europa

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Unimproved field flying with the Europa
From: Alan Burrill <alanb@dpy01.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2020 16:59:26
I fly a tri-gear from a 500 m grass strip, not the smoothest, and it handles
 well.

There are those who prefer the Mono, and those the Tri-gear.

Alan Burrill
G-OBJT

Sent from my iPad

> On 10 Jun 2020, at 16:41, Steve Ivell <SteveIvell@pestproof.co.uk> wrote:
>
> =EF=BB
> Hi Jon
>
> Those with a mono will tell you they are great (and I know they are a bit f
aster) but to my mind they are the worst of all types. Not a taildragger and
 not the equivalent to a glider because there is a big prop at the front wai
ting to be pranged. I have flown in one as a passenger and the little outrig
ger wheels make a racket on hard surfaces when taxying.

> My old instructor always responded when he was asked about taildragger ver
sus nosewheel.=9Dhow many modern aircraft don=99
t have nosewheel configuration=9D? I=99m sure you can answer tha
t for yourself.

> I=99ll now prepare to be shot down in flames by the mono lovers!! Lo
>
> Kind Regards
>
> Steve Ivell

ronics.com> On Behalf Of Jon Thayer
> Sent: 10 June 2020 12:12
> To: europa-list@matronics.com
> Subject: Europa-List: Unimproved field flying with the Europa
>
> Just curious to get some real data on unimproved field access and  flying i
n the Europa.  How well does the Tri-gear handle the landings and takeoffs.
 I've been told the mono is the way to go, but can be a bit finicky during l
anding and takeoffs on hard pavement not to mention the real world double in
surance costs... Thanks for the responses.