Europa-List: Re: Home made soft start module for Rotax 914

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Home made soft start module for Rotax 914
From: trevord <trevord@orcon.net.nz>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2018 13:22:44

Thanks Ivor and Bob,

All the stuff I have read and watched relates to the 912 including some scary
videos
of the damage the kickback does. I assumed that the 914 was equally affected
but your experience is interesting and with the lower compression of the
914 is logical.

The lead acid batteries of course arrived dead, so I am upgrading to Earthx
lithium
iron phosphate batteries are a fraction of the weight of the old ones and
put out more AMPs I am told, when required for starting. This should help also
to avoid the damage which apparently is compounded when the battery is low and
can cause it to kick back repeatedly without starting.

Thanks again gentlemen for your advice, is there anything else I should consider
changing ? I am told the older style crankcase can cause crankcase fretting
issues but clearly this is a big job so would prefer to avoid this and the sprag
clutch has been improved to make it stronger.

It has also been mentioned that the carburettor jets on the early type could be
upgraded and perhaps some other things - all advice welcome as I am a newbie
to the Europa (one hour type training so far) and the Rotax, but have owned a
GA aircraft for many years.

Kind regards
Trevor

--------