Europa-List: Home made soft start module for Rotax 914

Subject: Europa-List: Home made soft start module for Rotax 914
From: trevord <trevord@orcon.net.nz>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2018 12:55:36

Hello all,

My first posting on Matronics.

I have purchased a Europa kit which was started 19 years ago of wonderful
quality
workmanship but has an un-started, still inhibited 19 year old Rotax 914 engine.
---From my research, it would seem the soft-start option is critical to the
sprag clutch lasting for any length of time. I have read about the Bullyhawk
modules, but they are no longer available and new Rotax ignition modules are
expensive.

I read on the Rotax forum about a circuit that was home made that retarded the
ignition on start-up by a user called Turbo-Tom but I cannot find enough
information
to work out how to replicate this and Turbo-Tom seems to have moved-on.

Do any folks out there know of a reliable home-made solution to the defect that
was built-in to the original Rotax engines in the form of inadequate time before
the timing switched to fully advanced, which is known to destroy the clutch
in short order.

My local Rotax importer of course suggests I buy a new engine.

Regards
Trevor

--------
Trevor