Europa-List: Alt and Battery swtiches

Subject: Europa-List: Alt and Battery swtiches
From: William Daniell <wdaniell.longport@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2016 10:46:48
So  I am finally wiring up my panel having bought my dynon.

I just want to check that my understanding is correct.

I want 3 positive feeds.

   1. The Master Switch which activates the battery solenoid.  The solenoid
   activates the whole aircraft power system. The feed from the battery to the
   bus is protected by a 30A Circuit Breaker.
   2. An alternator feed to the master bus.  This protected by a 30A CB
   between the Alternator and the main bus.  A switch is placed between the CB
   and the main bus permitting the alternator to be isolated from the main
   bus.
   3. An emergency bus direct from the battery which feeds vital equipment
   like trim and radio straight from the battery.

I understand that at no time should the alternator be on without the
battery being on.

Is my understanding correct?

If so can somebody explain why the alternator should not be on without the
battery being on?  If this is the case what happens if for some reason the
battery is disconnected?  (for example a solenoid failure or
the connection to the solenoid)

many thanks

Will

William Daniell