Re: Europa-List: My ailerons wont go down

Subject: Re: Europa-List: My ailerons wont go down
From: William Daniell <wdaniell.longport@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2014 21:33:19
   1. Firstly thanks to Howard Brooks who gave me the idea of downloading a
   clinometer from google play to my phone.  I built a sort of stand so that
   the phone can stand on its edge out of a piece of hardware aluminium angle.
    Thus I could clip the phone to the trailing edge of the aileron.  I
   checked the download against my smart tool - it turned out to be as good as
   my smart tool.
   2. Next I fitted the flaps and ailerons lined them up and and marked
   the neutral position on the wing tip to avoid having to take the wings on
   and off with the flaps on.
      - incidentally using my newly acquired clinometer I found that my
      left flap as lower by 1 deg than the right flap.  So i used Buds flap
      trimming advice and epoxied 4 plies of lay up on the top of the
flap drive
      hole.  Now the flaps are identical.
   3. Next I took everything apart checked the aileron throw with my new
   phone clinometer.  The left aileron was close to ok but i reset that to
   22.5 up and set the wing QD to 90 deg to the bushes.
   4. The right wing was waaay out.  I sounded like the front edge of the
   aileron was contacting the channel in which it sits not allowing it to go
   full up.  I checked this out by using a pencil scribble in the channel and
   masking tape on the LE of the aileron.  It was contacting the channel right
   at the tip.  At the same time the lower surface of the aileron was about
   1/8 below the lower surface of the wing.  So i taped a 3/16 washer as a
   spacer between the hinge and the wing.  The lower surface was level with
   the wing and i got 24 deg up.  I put 5 lay ups (over and above the
   reinforcement plies as a spacer on the hinge contact point.  I set the
   left aileron to 22.5 up and made the QD 90deg to spar pins
   5. I next went after the fuselage end.  I had some aileron control tube
   left over which I cut in half and inserted into the control columns to
   check that the sticks are parallel - I used a couple of lazer levels but as
   bud says the eye was just as accurate.  I then centered the sticks by using
   a spirit level on the top of the aluminium stick socket  - I figured if the
   top of the socket was level then the stick would be vertical.  Using a long
   1/4 bolt I marked the center point on the seat front - drilled a 1/4 in
   hole and now i have the sticks centered and held.
   6. Next I turned my attention the fuze QD.  Using a cut down spirit
   level which I had previously checked for accuracy i checked that the QDs
   were vertical with the sticks vertical.  ( I had previously leveled the
   fuze both ways).  they were.
   7. I put is all together and hey presto very close to perfect.
   8. Ive still got some fiddling around to do but buds instructions were
   spot on.

the take aways from this are:

   - measuring tools are not tools they are "instruments" and require
   checking.
      - Only some of the levels i had were accurate
      - I had previously used a old style clinometer - like
      a protractor with a dial- it simply wasn't accurate enough
      - check all your instruments coincide before you start
      - the free download clinometer is the absolute business
      as accurate as the smart level and a lot cheaper
   - You get better at this as you go along.  I was pretty much sure I had
   done the process right the first time a couple of years back.
   - There was a wrinkle which as the right wing aileron movement which I
   would have picked up if I had had the right kit.

thanks for all help and suggestions I hope this is the last bleat (on this
subject)

yours

Will
William Daniell