Europa-List: Recommend LFSM Montbeliard-Courcelles and Swiss Info

Subject: Europa-List: Recommend LFSM Montbeliard-Courcelles and Swiss Info
From: John Wighton <john@wighton.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2013 02:37:33

Flew UK to Switzerland a few weeks ago, caught that nice week of clear weather
at the start of Sept.  Tried to get back after a week but got blocked out by bad
WX in France.  I backtracked and ended up in LFSM (partly because it has a
TGV station to get me back to work in Switzerland).  A group of enthusiasts fly
a Dassault 312 from there and l was fortunate enough to meet up with them,
lovely
people put GIPOD in the hangar (turned out to be 2 weeks stay), charged
me nothing at all.  Just shows there are still nice people in this world.  This
would be an excellent place to stop over as part of a Euro tour.

Flying in the Alps was educational, Frans noted the fine view from FL115, which
is true, but the valley flying is challenging, flying amongst 6k to 10k peaks,
no horizon reference.  I can recommend Switzerland generally but keep away from
Buochs (ironically my local airfield as l live and work within its extended
boundaries), particularly anal even for Switzerland and refused me re-entry
for a weather diversion (there have been 6 recent fatalities at nearby Kagiswil
when pilots could possibly have diverted to Buochs but maybe (speculation)
thought
they would be refused).  I am taking that one up with FOCA.

Recommend entry/exit via Grenchen, charged 20 approx for landing, customs and
Police
(needed when planning direct to UK).

Military zones near Bern need checking as the airspace seems to close for GA
regularly.
There are a couple of Europa projects on the go, l met Albert Buess who
is nearing flight test.

--------
John Wighton
Europa XS trigear G-IPOD