Europa-List: Spar socket failure (article in the clubmagazine)

Subject: Europa-List: Spar socket failure (article in the clubmagazine)
From: Roland <schmidtroland@web.de>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2012 02:38:34

Hi all,

recently I received the CM where I found an article about possible failure of
the
wing spar sockets on Europas. It was mentioned by the author, that the last
thing to be done is to push in the main wing pin half way (as per the Europa
manual) and then release the left wing  same applies for the right wing.

As my Europa lives in a closed trailer at home and I transport it to the
aerodrome
whenever I want to fly this item is of great interest for me.

Question: what is the correct method for rigging? I cannot see anything wrong in
going with the manual and what is the alternative? When I push in the main wing
pin completely, its impossible to fully slide the starboard wing in. In that
case I first have to pull the pin out a little.

I also cannot imagine it as a good idea to rely on the pip pin outside alone to
take the whole loads/shocks when sliding the port wing in, especially when the
port wing is not fitted totally in line with everything (which is always the
case as you know) and contacts e. g. the edges of the spar socket of the port
wing. I dont know about you but I always have to surge push and pull forward
and back up and down a little especially the last few inches and I have a better
feeling when as much as possible is already fixed on the other side of the
aircraft.

Those questions becoming even more important since I bought myself a rigging aid
for single hand rigging.

Any advice most welcome.

Roland

XS Trigear PH-ZTI