Re: Europa-List: FlowScan Problems

Subject: Re: Europa-List: FlowScan Problems
From: Bud Yerly <budyerly@msn.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2011 17:09:36
Svein,
I am just a dumb builder who has learned the hard way and only knows
what has worked in my shop.  And like you guys, with no time to work on
my own projects.
You can never beat an Electronics International flow meter system.  I
have one, and it is superb.  No adjustments right out of the box.

Regarding the flow of the return:
I did a bench check of the FS02 return line years ago and found that is
flows at 4 oz per minute so about two gallons per hour at a pressure of
about 2 PSI with a full tank (as the head pressure resists the return).
Non scientific measuring cups and hoses used.  In fact it was
practically Rube Goldberg at its best.

There is no way to get a single FF sender to be accurate over all power
ranges but you can get pretty darned close.
My experience with the setup of a single FF sender on a 912 engine with
only a single fuel flow sensor and a restricted return is as follows:
GRT has the fuel flow instruction in their manual starting in section
7.5 for the EIS.
What I do in the shop is the following:
I disconnect the fuel line from the engine, and use a hose extension
draining into a gallon can with a valve to also check the fuel pressure.
Like you, I set it up initially only checking the flow out of the main
line and verify the accuracy and adjust as necessary according to the
manual.  Usually it is pretty good...
I then hook the fuel lines back up.

I run the pump with engine off and the return line disconnected and
measure the flow rate.  With no other restrictions other than fuel in
the tank and the FS02, it is just about three-four gallons per hour.
One method I tried was to run the engine and measure the return, the tee
pressure should be about 3-4 PSI and the return past the FSO2 installed
in a tightly fitting1/4 inch fuel line, drops the return flow by about
half.  But running engines on the ground and dripping fuel around is
stupid, so I don't do that any more.
The GRT manual has you adjust from flight experience the FLOCAL up until
your flow is more accurate, if I recall it is a value between 100-150.
What the GRT folks told me to do was to note your fuel burn in flight
via fill up and stopwatch to get your approximate fuel flow as it is
much safer without fuel lines and props turning on the ground...
Simply increase the FLOCAL and fly again to check it out.  Adjusting as
you go, and adjusting, and adjusting, and adjusting.
Being a lazy old guy, I fly during test at cruise power and set the
FLOCAL until I get about 5.5 GPH at about 3000 MSL and 5000 RPM at 20-25
inches MP.
Then adjust while enjoying cross country flights.

For those with two flow meters, I have found the GRT 4000 with FF return
to work as advertised.  As accurate as the EI system I have.

I, like you Svein, am spoiled by my Electronics International Flowscan,
it is a great piece of equipment, and I am glad to see other
manufacturers now making similar equipment that is less tedious than the
GRT above.

Regards,
Bud