Europa-List: Fw: Sun 'n Fun Tornadic activiey Damage

Subject: Europa-List: Fw: Sun 'n Fun Tornadic activiey Damage
From: Bud Yerly <budyerly@msn.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 21:33:31

----- Original Message -----
From: Bud Yerly<mailto:budyerly@msn.com>
McLean<mailto:mike.mclean@swiftaircraft.co.uk> ; Karen
Ward<mailto:karen.ward@swiftaircraft.co.uk> ; Jon
Pool<mailto:jon.pool@swiftaircraft.co.uk> ; Ian
Robertson<mailto:ian.robertson@swiftaircraft.co.uk> ;
david.stanbridge<mailto:david.stanbridge@swifttg.com> ; Rebecca
Haines<mailto:rebecca.haines@swifttg.com>
Sent: Thursday, March 31, 2011 6:31 PM
Subject: Sun 'n Fun Tornadic activiey Damage

       Photo E-mail   Play
slideshow<http://photos.msn.com/Viewing/Album.aspx?PST=8nK2AN1B!1LEiKSd
ooxx9v4CFFiF2tnPWP2mfc7Vl*v8gunvJlFdFHcVyGIE*X!f1YkN0AHAawi6UOFTRyfheA%24
%24> | Download images
<http://photos.msn.com/viewing/Photos.aspx?pi_Type=SlideshowTask&Task=
Download&stppData=&pi_ImagesOnly=1&Folder=nBuRgwTGIGjZPMtNhxCyPhYLU
BR*bYP2MGBzYh2uA80%24&User=23IQaj7Z2BRqNO1wUECSpX*P0Ju9hSGI&pi_NoLogin=
1>
Hello all,
We had quite a scare at Sun 'n Fun today.  A small tornado moved over
the Sun 'n fun campus this morning.  Luckily Ed Pellenz (one of the
techs at Custom Flight) was at Plant City Airport, and he texted me that
a tornado hit there and was coming toward us.  I could see the rain
wrapped cloud approaching and I evacuated the Europa Tent, warned other
venders and we all ran into the main hangars.  Moments later, winds,
hail and rain hit.  I watched with concern as a strong straight line
wind I estimate as 75 plus mph hit the vender area.  Just as it seemed
to subside, the tornadic winds hit.  Our buildings roof was damaged and
leaking, and significant small hail began and then extremely strong
winds and rain hit outside the hangar  I can only guess at the speed.
I watched helplessly as the Phillips Petroleum tent smashed into my site
area.  The air was filled with tents, parts and debris typical of a
twister.

A few folks took shelter in tents, which collapsed and minor injuries
were reported.   Soon the storm subsided and we surveyed the area for
venders and anyone who was caught out in that mess.  The area was full
of gasoline fumes from the overturned and shredded aircraft and
assistance was rendered where necessary.  All the participants were
fortunate enough that the only injuries sustained were from falling
ceiling pieces or tent frame collapses.

I will try to send photo's from my phone below.  They are poor as it
was, and still is, raining and stormy.
Many aircraft have been lost or damaged and many of the outdoor displays
were damaged.

Thankfully Jeff Beheren's was closely monitoring the radar and had
helped make the decision earlier this morning that all the owners with
him and Steve Pitt would stay put until the storms passed.  We are all
well, and we should be able to get back into the site on Friday and
begin cleanup.

Please don't email or call as we are all fine, Baby Blue seems to have
rode out the storm with only superficial paint damage.  N12AY has only
rudder damage, and 419PL has vertical fin, and stab damage.  So far so
good.  Full inspections must be made though.

Tornados are very finicky  They left Baby Blue intact with 4 aircraft
within 100 feet all destroyed or damaged.  My aircraft spun around and
suffered only rudder damage, and the vintage Waco's across from me are
fine, but on either side of them and us, is devastation.  200 feet away,
Zenith lost 5 aircraft or have had them severely damaged when flipped
over<http://photos.msn.com/Viewing/Album.aspx?PST=8nK2AN1B!1LEiKSdooxx9
v4CFFiF2tnPWP2mfc7Vl*v8gunvJlFdFHcVyGIE*X!f1YkN0AHAawi6UOFTRyfheA%24%24>

      view from front of our tent

<http://photos.msn.com/Viewing/Album.aspx?PST=8nK2AN1B!1LEiKSdooxx9v4CF
FiF2tnPWP2mfc7Vl*v8gunvJlFdFHcVyGIE*X!f1YkN0AHAawjkMvxVa3625g%24%24>
      Back of my site

<http://photos.msn.com/Viewing/Album.aspx?PST=8nK2AN1B!1LEiKSdooxx9v4CF
FiF2tnPWP2mfc7Vl*v8gunvJlFdFHcVyGIE*X!f1YkN0AHAawjd6E1DOysJTg%24%24>
      The missing wing is under the tent as we had it on a wing walker
for display.

<http://photos.msn.com/Viewing/Album.aspx?PST=8nK2AN1B!1LEiKSdooxx9v4CF
FiF2tnPWP2mfc7Vl*v8gunvJlFdFHcVyGIE*X!f1YkN0AHAawiRKvW3XJaYQw%24%24>
      12AY spun around and against the tent.
Suffice to say, the insurance companies will be busy.

Stories will follow I'm sure.

Best Regards,
Bud Yerly
This MSN Photo E-mail slideshow will be available for 30 days.
To share high quality pictures with your friends and family using MSN
Photo E-mail, join MSN<http://g.msn.com/0PHenus1/29>.