Re: Europa-List: COMM antenna & Magnetmeter

Subject: Re: Europa-List: COMM antenna & Magnetmeter
From: Bud Yerly <budyerly@msn.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2010 18:18:40
John,
I couldn't agree more on Frans comment on the Magnetometer.
The positions used in the last nine aircraft I worked on had the mag
overhead at the apex of the curve between the doors.  This works well
provided you don't have an old style headset with huge magnets in it.
If you do, when you move your head, the mag compass will move to follow.
 The newer headsets in the last 5 years have no effect, and the small
screws and washers in the door hinge hardware, or overhead micro
switches or lights have no effect on performance of the magnetometer
either.

Another position is aft of the baggage bay bulkhead, about on the joint
line of the fuselage top and bottom.  Many times I mount a ply and glass
platform and use stainless or nylon mounting screws to level and secure
it.  Make sure it is opposite to the main power leads if running them to
the rear.

A few folks have put them in the wingtip when no power leads run out to
the tips.

The places you don't want to place it is very near the mass balance arm
of the stab, near the trim or flap motors, fuel pumps or other high
current draw items.  I helped one client that put it in the port wing
near his strobe power unit....That was a bad idea also.

The magnetometer installation manual gives detailed warnings on where
not to install.

Bud Yerly
Europa Dealer