Europa-List: Re: Anyone considered a ULPOWER UL260i engine

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Anyone considered a ULPOWER UL260i engine
From: John Wighton <john@wighton.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2010 01:06:02

especially
structural and powerplant installations.  I have various delegated authority
signatures, inc active work as a CVE for submissions to the UK CAA and
major suppliers to the Aerospace world.

The UL260i is used by Lambert Aircraft in their M106 and M108 planes.  I have a
good relationship with them, l am sure Filip will divulge some real-world issues
and running costs.  We recently did a comparison against the Rotax 912ULS
for a foreign client - l was very surprised by the relative operational merits
of the UL260i.

If Mark is willing to fulfil:

> As far as firewall forward is concerned, UL Power via, Galaxy Microlights, can
supply an engine mount for the Europa but I will need some data to be able to
design, build, test and supply the mount ready to fit. I am also looking into
the cowling's for the UL260i installation too, but I will need an aircraft with
and engine fitted to be able to get the best design.

It is normal for us to be able to clear a new engine mount/installation by
stress
analysis.  This reduces the onus on tests.  We do this using FE tools and hand
calcs showing compliance to the chosen regs.  Depending on whether Galaxy
wishes to retain IPR for the mount or not we could introduce it as a Standard
Mod (with Ian Rickard doing his stuff from the Europa Club).  This is subject
to discussion.

Technically the stress analysis requirement is clear, we already have a cockpit
and mount FE model (used for the Flyer Mag Europa with BRS and RV style
taildragger
gear) which is validated.  A mount for the UL engine would be drawn up
and evaluated/optimised.  Some extrapolation of loads based on potential
prop/hub
combinations would be made (to avoid additional incremental mods later on).
We consider the inertial, gyroscopic and torsional loading.  Influence on whole
aircraft inertias should be minimal provided the mass/CG is not too different.

We do not yet have a CAD model of the standard cowl, this is desirable as a
clash
analysis (using a CAD engine/installation) can be done which will enable
clearances
to be defined.  A CAD model could be generated quickly using some 3D
scanning equipment and any standard Europa (any member have access to this?).
This would be a good opportunity to optimise the inlet/outlet areas (to prevent
the same situation as with the XS).

It is s shame that Swift is too busy to assist with this task.  Speaking to
their
guys at AeroExpo it is evident that a lot of things are happening in the
background.
As with most things in this world, supply and demand dictate progress.

Regards
JW

Read this topic online here: