Europa-List: Re: Air-to-air comm radio

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Air-to-air comm radio
From: John Wighton <john@wighton.net>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2010 08:56:26

I have had some recent concerns about radio transmission quality (MicroAir 760
using standard fin mounted antenna).  The reception is 5/5, but transmission on
the ground is weak (especially after start up and in hot environmental
conditions
(thats is >18 deg C in the UK).  I am frequently asked to repeat Tx and
told that strength is 5/5/ but readability is 2/5 or worse.

In the air things are better but Tx readability reduces in hot weather.
Yesterday
it was around 23 degC, l found changing track 30 deg allowed ATC to hear my
Tx better.

I am switching to an SL30 - partially because the MicroAir space is being used
for a Trig TT21 and also because l want to monitor the 2nd freq.  Hopefully the
Tx problem will go away with a new radio, or am l hoping to luck?

Read this topic online here: