Re: Europa-List: Use of Ferrite Cores & RFI

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Use of Ferrite Cores & RFI
From: ALAN YERLY <budyerly@msn.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 18:01:24
Steve,
I don't use the ferrite cores anymore.  Sorry.
I have found that any Integrated Circuit device in an instrument panel
running near the coax antenna cables or your com leads is suspect.
I learned my lessons with the Blue Mountain and the early video display
EFIS units.
Those of us who have chased noise before have learned to do the
following:

Shield any com wire or com component completely with the shields of all
com leads grounded together at the radio exactly as the manufacturer
calls for.  Those convenient grounds for Com Low or PTT can cause
trouble.

Do not run any component with a voltage regulator or IC circuit or their
in/outputs parallel with com wires or radio back without shielding or
ample separation.

That includes the Airmaster controller.  I would suspect the
power/ground wires may be near a com lead.  You may need to shield the
power wires but I doubt it.  Try a simple shield ground to the case on
an Airmaster controller as a start.  That will tell you who the culprit
is and may even do the trick.

I've never had the Airmaster cause noise I could hear, but I've always
practiced the above.  Check that you haven't re-arranged other wires
when installing the Airmaster controller which would make a here to for
unknown problem rear its head.

Good Luck, You'll enjoy the prop.

Bud Yerly
Custom Flight Creations