Re: Europa-List: Use of heat gun

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Use of heat gun
From: ALAN YERLY <budyerly@msn.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2007 17:06:36
Jim,
I don't know how a 1/16 error would require all this work, unless it is
recessed too far and binding, but here is an instruction I gave one of
my clients recently:

At my shop, we have had to remove a number of misplace hinges.  Use a
soldering gun (Weller is good) of about 40 watts, the heat gun will
damage too large of an area for my liking.  Clean up the flox and epoxy
buildup on the ends of the hinge so you can just see the buried side
without getting into the glass fiber.  Heat the metal hinge only, and
pry it up carefully.  I use a flat Exacto knife to use as a pry bar and
begin heating on one end of the hinge.  I watch to ensure the glass is
not changing color from excess heat and do not use so much force to
distort the glass.  Keep the other side of the glass surface cool by
using a wet paper towel.  Once the hinge starts to move, you can just
pull on the hinge or grab it with pliers.  I never reuse the hinge.
Then do a fiberglass repair of the area.  Your best efforts have
weakened the glass anyway so just suck it up and do it.  That means
sanding it down on both sides and rebuilding the area with 8 oz. glass
and flox. Peel ply and inspect.  Then start over on the hinge placement.

It sounds like a tedious project and it is.  I am anal about ensuring
the repairs are structurally strong, hence the lack of desire to just
heat the pee out of it and yank it off, reposition and flox mentality,
although it has been done many times.

I hope this helps.
Bud Yerly
Custom Flight.