Europa-List: Spar Placement Problem

Subject: Europa-List: Spar Placement Problem
From: DuaneFamly@aol.com
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 18:56:06

Good day to all,

I just found a problem and wanted some feedback from those more experienced
than myself.
I had already set the angle of incidence of both wings and epoxied both fore
and aft blocks for the wing pins to set in. After the epoxy had set and before

removing the wings, so I could move on to the next phase, I rechecked the
angles and they hadn't moved. They were both right where I had set them.
I just put both wings back on to adjust the aileron travel and noticed that
when the control stick was full left there was an interference. I found that
the port bellcrank was just rubbing against the spar socket mounted on the port

spar. After further investigation I found that about 2-3mm of the shaft of the

port pip pin was visible between the port spar bushing and the bushing in the
cockpit module. And that the pip pin center button would not pop out because
the "balls" were only sticking out halfway from the spar socket. This is with
both 281315 hardened washers installed but without any of the 816L spacer
washers added. As shown in Fig. 10 on pg 27-12.
Thinking that I had failed to insure that the spar was pressed up fully
against the cockpit module while I epoxied the wing pin blocks, I removed both

blocks, but I still cannot get the spar to push up any closer to the make the
spar

bush and cockpit module bush contact each other.
Has any other builder seen this situation? Is the fact that the bushes are
not up against each other a major problem? Could this be caused by setting the

angle of incidence? Wouldn't this situation put undue stress on the pip pin?
I am not going to move forward on this problem until I get a sanity check.

Mike Duane A207
Redding, California
XS Conventional Gear
CM & rudder pedals with cables installed. Tailwheel complete. Working on
baggage bay. Conventional gear assembled and soon to be fitted.