Re: Bonding the top on

Subject: Re: Bonding the top on
From: Tim Ward <ward.t@xtra.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 12 May 2001 20:44:33

Paul,
I used 50 cleos to position the top mould onto the bottom mould.
With the top moulding cleoed in place I was able to delay the bonding
until much later to enable better access to the bottom moulding to mount
the wings, and do the increased AUW mod. along with a lot of other jobs.
I wiped a little grease over the cleos when bonding.
Make sure the aircraft is well supported and level in both axis before
bonding.
Make sure the torque tube in level with the front of the aircraft.
I did 2 trial runs with 2 ladies of the house to rehearse the bonding
procedure!!(Sounds good)
My cleos gripped well with the walls but I know some people used little
washes to obtain a better grip.
Because I used 50 or more cleos there was no need to worry about less
the good bonding between the two halves. Some people use rivets or even
bolts to secure the two halves.
Quite a lot of sanding had to be done beforehand along the join and
particular at the firewall and lower moulding area I found.
Prepare, prepare, prepare and the rest is easy.
Good luck,
Cheers,
Tim

--