Re: Whirlwind prop for motor gliders?

Subject: Re: Whirlwind prop for motor gliders?
From: John Cliff <john@crixbinfield.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 08:56:02
Message forwarded from the bounce bin by John Cliff.  Message is from
Klaus Dietrich  Klaus.Dietrich@oracle.com

The MT is a superb prop but heavy and ....expensive. I'm using the NSI
hub with the three blade Warp drive which is 10 kg including spinner and
slip ring which is just 5 kg more than the fixed pitch. The MT will be
over 15 kg and about three times the price of the NSI...

Concerning quality, we have just finished extensive testing of two NSI
props on two 912 Europas over 2 years (total 400 hours) in order to get
the austrian approvals to use this prop. There were no problems and we
are very satisfied with the prop. Materials used, craftsmanship and ease
of installation plus installation manual are all first class.
The prop shortened the "critical" phase of the ground roll and we can
now take of almost in the three point attitude; also climb and max.
cruise both improved by about 10%. Both props have been dismantled after
about 150 hours each and checked. Both were free of wear or defects.

I agree that delivery is a bit long (4 month; we ordered directly from
NSI in the US and for one prop we supplied the Warp Drive blades, which
reduced delivery time) but the result is definitely worthwhile waiting!

To have an efficient two blade prop on the Rotax you would have to
increase the diameter by about 10 cm. May be a problem for the ground
clearance at least for the Mk1 Monowheel. We compared "life" our
performance with two other Europas with two-blade VP props (homebuilt)
which only confirmed that the Warp Drive three blade prop is an
excellent choice for the Europa.

Klaus