914 Hot Starts

Subject: 914 Hot Starts
From: gstout@us.ibm.com
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 08:54:37

Henk and Bart,  what you are probably experiencing is "vapor lock", where
the ambient heat in the engine compartment boils the gasoline in the fuel
lines, causing the gas to vaporize.  I experienced this for the first
several months with my 914 Europa.  There are a couple of things you can
do.  Open the inspection hatches on the top cowling to let heat escape from
the engine compartment.  Insulate the fuel lines.  Since the fuel system of
Rotax engines allows for a recirculation of fuel from the fuel pump to the
carburetors and returns any excess fuel not consumed by the carburetors,
back to the fuel tank, simply let your fuel pumps run for several minutes
with the engine off.  This will force cooler fuel through the fuel lines
and hopefully push the vapor bubbles out of the system.  In my particular
case, my vapor lock was caused by using motor fuel which was blended for
"winter use", when the temperatures in Florida were averaging 80 degrees
(F).  This fuel was just to volatile for the environment.  I drained my
fuel tank of the motor fuel and replaced it with aviation gas, and have
been using aviation gas ever since.  Problem solved!  I've not had a single
instance of hard starting since.  I hope some combination of my suggestions
will work for you.  Good luck.

Regards,
Garry
(813) 878-3929
FAX (813) 878-5651, Internet ID Gstout@us.ibm.com

henk@loginet.nl on 10/25/99 06:13:52 AM

Please respond to henk@loginet.nl

cc:
Subject:  Flying: 914 warm start

We have troubles starting our 914 when it is warm.
It will start eventually, but after a scary long time.
Could the more experienced 914 users tell us their
warm start procedure?

Regards,
Henk & Bart
Europa #264, PH-BGV