Flying: play in aileron hinges

Subject: Flying: play in aileron hinges
From: Klaus Dietrich <101613.3377@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 1997 06:09:56
1. Aileron hinges

During my preflight check I discovered that I had some play on the left
outside aileron hinge.
The play is in the vertical plane and I discovered it by pushing the
aileron upwards at a point close to the hinge. I can then move the aileron
at the tip end up and down for almost 1,0 mm !!
I have the feeling that due to vibration the aileron hinge pin has somewhat
enlarged the hinge hole - my guess would be that the hinge has enlarged
holes of 0.5 mm. There is almost no play on the hinges at the root.
On the right aileron hinge there is also some play at the wing tip hinge,
but I would say only half as much as on the left side.

I do have now 75,5 total houres flown with 123 landings. About half of it
flown alone.

Could it be that during taxying and on each landing, the aileron hinge  has
to support some up and downwards forces and/or vibrations especialy on its
tip ? (high weight of aieron with balance weight!)

Does any one had similar experiences ?

In any case I will take the ailerons off the wings and will try to get the
hinges out for inspection next week...I hope this can be done without too
much destruction of the aileron... (one side of the hinge is riveted and
epoxied in....)

Any suggestions are welcomed.

2.) Oil tank mounting bracket:
My bracket got some cracks at the bent line which is close to the curve
where the oil tank sits. Cracks where on the top and bottom.
Probably my bend radius where too sharp but I think that the whole bracket
gets a lot of vibration. Maybe when sustained in the middle of the central
wide portion aigainst the footwell with some rubber could be a solution to
stop the vibrattions.

Any advise?

Happy flying (but only after a good preflight...)

Klaus.