Re: Europa Radio Problem

Subject: Re: Europa Radio Problem
From: Mark Talbot <markt@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 21:30:44

>Hello,
>
>I have a problem with a Terra 760D radio installed in my Europa, G-NEAT.
>
>The intercom feature works fine, radio reception is fine, but, people often
>(but not always) report my transmissions as being distorted to the point of
>being unreadable.
>
>The fin mounted antenna is made from the Europa supplied kit. The radio
>installation is not a bodge.
>
>I have taken the radio back to RD and they reckon it's OK but I wouldn't mind

>getting it checked out by a competent radio repairer.
>
>Can someone supply the name of a UK based service organisation that can take
>the radio and give it a thorough check?
>
>If anyone has any bright ideas regarding this problem I would be very grateful

>if they could reply to me directly (or to the list).
>
>Thanks,
>
>Mark Burton

I also have a Terra in my Europa. I regularly fly into Bagby Airfield, which
is local to me. I usually call for joining instructions when I am about 8
miles out due east and pointing straight at them - and almost always they
say I am unreadable! They are the only airfield to have this problem and I
just wonder if it is some sort of shielding of the fin-mounted antenna when
in a certain height/direction of an airfield. The Terra transponder work
fine all the time, as does the radio to other fields. I do believe the
Squelch is fairly important - and it seems to work well on the automatic
(indent) position.
Mark Talbot (Europa G-BWCV)