Cheap and light sound deadening

Subject: Cheap and light sound deadening
From: Duncan McFadyean <101234.3202@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 1996 13:50:55
light partial solutions. I base some of these on spending years trying to make
certain model of Leyland car less noisey.

But firstly, if you have a radio/intercom then why not invest in a pair of good
headsets,ideally with active noise cancelling. Sounds obvious, I know, but lots
lighter.

A 1/8 inch hole in a bulkhead will DOUBLE the amount of perceived sound
transmitted. Therefore, making sure that the bulkhead is properly sealed will
result in a quieter cockpit and will also of course reduce the potential for
monoxide contamination.

Prevent tin-canning of flat surfaces by attaching a mass to the centre of that
surface; ie mount equipment in the centre of flat panels (yes, I know that there
aren`t many on the Europa, but the metal firewall is a good case in point).

Make sure that doors are well sealed and that the ends of the rubber door seal
are well butted and glued together. A rubber tube locally inserted into the door
seal so as to internally overlap the butt join is beneficial. Care needs to be
taken when installing the seal not to stretch it, otherwise it shrinks back and
makes a gap at the butt join (I think the manual mentions this; apologies for
repeating if it does)

My two-pennies-worth. Regards, NO 175.